The Earliest Photographs
The following black and white photographs, provided by the late Joy Ness, are the oldest known of the Church and are labelled "1900" on the back. The photographer is unknown. They appear to be taken on different dates as one of the East-West bracing bars (installed in 1907) (see "Problems") is apparent in the interior photograph but the ends are not apparent in the exterior photograph.
The exterior photograph shows the north side of the Church with a lady in late Victorian/Edwardian dress. The post and rail fence can be seen on the south side. The dappled light on the Church will be caused by the sun shining through the pine trees that surrounded the site. A roofing slate can be seen resting in the guttering near the front of the Church. When the Church was being tidied up for the 150th anniversary celebrations in 2007 a roofing slate had to be retrieved from exactly the same position and reinstalled. (On Christmas Day 2013 a severe hailstorm smashed or cracked many slates and they all had to be replaced.)
The picket fence shown in the view of the front of the Church was later replaced by a woven wire fence.
The interior view appears to show that the walls were painted in two colours (the walls are now rendered and painted cream). The declaration "Glory to God in the Highest" was not painted on the wall but sewn on a banner. The door on the left leads to the vestry. It is not known when the reed organ on the right hand side was replaced. (The present organ is on the left hand side.) In 2005 a gas heater run on bottled LPG was installed on the right hand side that supplements small electric fan heaters. As far as we know, the Church was not heated until electric power reached Kangaroo Ground in 1958. Initially the Minister had a small radiator in the pulpit, sometime in the 1960s heaters were mounted on the walls for the congregation but they were inadequate.
The lamp closest to the front is believed to be a Miller Jumbo hanging lamp (made in the USA around about 1880 - 1890) and the other is believed to be a three armed iron chandelier with anucapnic burners and chimney/shade combined with glass fonts, possibly made in the USA around the same era. (We don't know what happened to these lamps.)
A recent photograph of the interior of the Church can be seen here: Weddings